How do I use Fentun with Windows '95/NT4.0 and Netscape Communicator?
How do I use Fentun with Windows '95/NT4.0 and Netscape
Downloading & Installing Fentun
irst, right-click on the Skip the BULL and download Fentun for Windows
'95 button on Fentun's home page, and select Save Link As...
from the menu that appears. (This version will run under both Windows '95
and Windows NT 4.0.)
- Select an appropriate place on your hard drive for Fentun to live.
As an example, we'll place Fentun in
C:\Program Files\Fentun\fentun.exe. Remember where you put
Fentun - you'll need to enter the path a little later.
- Select the Edit/Preferences menu item in Netscape Communicator 4.0.
The Preferences dialog should appear.
- Select the Navigator/Applications tree item from the Category
tree on the left side of the Preferences dialog.
- Click the New Type... button. A New Type dialog should
- Enter Microsoft's Miserable MS-TNEF Format in the Description
of Type field. Actually, put anything you want here.
- Enter tnf in the File Extension field. If you are
already using tnf on your system, put something else in this field.
(You'll append the file extension you enter here to any ms-tnef attachment
you save as a file. Note: when using Fentun with Netscape Communicator,
you will rarely, if ever, need to save an ms-tnef attachment.)
- Enter application/ms-tnef in the MIME Type field. This
is one of the two most important fields to fill in correctly.
- Enter the path to where you placed Fentun in step 2 in the Application
to use field, followed by a space and %1. For our example,
we'll enter "C:\Program Files\Fentun\fentun.exe" %1 (enclose the
path in quotes if there is a space in the path - in our example, there's
a space between Program and Files). If you do not know
where you put Fentun, you can find it using the Start Menu's Find/Files
or Folders... feature. See Microsoft Windows '95s online documentation
for more information about how to use this feature.
- Click OK at the bottom of the New Type dialog.
- Click OK at the bottom of the Preferences dialog. Fentun
is now installed and ready to handle ms-tnef attachments when they arrive
in your e-mail.
Relax, the toughest part is over. Now when an e-mail message arrives
with a TNEF attachment, click on the attachment's link. You'll see
something like this:
In the example pictured above, there are two attachments,
"ProjectSmartPayDialog.exe" and "ProjectEditSubscr.exe". Their sizes are
displayed to the right (in bytes). To extract one of these, highlight
the attachment by clicking on its name with the left mouse button.
Select multiple attachments by shift-clicking and control-clicking with
the left mouse button. Once you've highlighted the attachment(s) you
want to extract, click the "Extract" or the "Extract As" button.
The "Extract" button will save the selected attachment(s) using the name
listed. The "Extract As" button gives you the opportunity to specify the
destination filename and directory for each selected attachment.
The "Close" button makes Fentun go away. It's really the same as using
the window's close button.
The "About" button displays a window with some information about Fentun,
including the URL for this website. About (haha) the only exciting
feature in this window is the Okay button, which closes the window when
In the lower left corner, you'll find a picture of Fentun. This area of
the window serves the purpose of making the application cute.
Finally, in the bottom of the window, you'll find the status bar. A
plethora of information can be found here, including the version
number of Fentun, success and/or failure messages during attachment
extraction, and cryptic error messages that prove meaningless to most
humans and a couple of computers. Oh, wait - hopefully those messages
have all been taken out...
My greatest hope is that you find Fentun helpful, easy to use, and perhaps
even fun. However, if for whatever reason you need to uninstall Fentun,
here's how it's done.
- Delete the fentun.exe file.
- Select the Edit/Preferences... menu item in Netscape
- Select the Navigator/Applications tree item from the
Category tree on the left side of the Preferences dialog.
- Select the Description matching the line you entered in step
6 of Downloading & Installing Fentun.
- Click the Remove button.
- Click Yes from the dialog confirming your action (if it shows up).
- Smile (or frown) - Fentun is now uninstalled.
Send e-mail to email@example.com and tell him what you think of
his program and/or website!